The Fulbright Association is grateful to the Coca Cola Company for its co-sponsorship from 1993-2008 and for its generous additions to the Prize Endowment initiative begun by the late John B. Hurford, Fulbright scholar to India. Committed alumni and friends of the Fulbright Program have added to the fund over the years. The Fulbright Prize was first awarded to Nelson Mandela in 1993 and most recently to Hans Bliz in 2014. The 2016 Prize will be awarded at a special ceremony during the 39th Annual Fulbright Association Conference in Washington, DC, this November 10, 2016.
An international selection committee will determine the awardee from the nominations received based on this criteria:
• Distinction in any field, which exemplifies the ideals of Senator Fulbright and the Fulbright Program in promoting understanding and peaceful dialogue among nations and in strengthening educational and cultural ties across borders.
• Individuals, two or more persons in partnership or not-for-profits dedicated to the pursuit of peace and understanding may be nominated.
• Fulbright alumni are especially welcomed, but alumni status is not required.
• Winner must attend the ceremony in Washington, DC to deliver a substantive keynote address (up to 20 minutes) to Fulbright alumni and distinguished guests. (Note: If the first place nominee is unable to attend, the second place nominee shall be offered the Prize in their place.)
• Nominations may not exceed two pages. The first page will provide bio data and contact details such as title, current professional role, email, phone and address. The second page should contain a compelling, informative case for the nominee as Prize Laureate, noting the connection between career and Fulbright ideals. It should be carefully written since this statement may serve as the basis for the citation conferring the Prize.
• Should nominators wish to provide additional information, such as links to articles or other pertinent professional data, they may do so, but it will not be considered as part of the official two-page nomination.
• As a nominator, please provide email, phone and professional affiliation so the Fulbright Association may contact you in regards to your application.
• Nominations will be kept confidential and forwarded only to the international selection committee. The committee of seven includes the chairperson, Fulbright Association president, chairperson-designee for the next prize selection and four distinguished international members. They will confer electronically and serve pro bono. The identity of the committee members will be held in confidence until the laureate is announced.
• Submit nominations via email to Dr. Mary Ellen Schmider with the subject line: Fulbright Prize Nomination