Join our lively team in a fast-paced, international environment of Fulbrighters changing the world! We’re offering an unpaid internship to upper-level undergraduates (junior and above) and graduate students. Detail-oriented, self-starters and team players are encouraged to apply.
Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Fulbright Association is a nonprofit started in 1977 by U.S. alumni of the Fulbright Program. It is the largest organization of Fulbright alumni in the world and one of 70 international Fulbright alumni associations. Our mission is to engage current and former Fulbright exchange participants in lifelong experiences that advance people-to-people understanding, international diplomacy and service in communities around the world.
Purpose: To expand engagement of Fulbright alumni, increase visibility for the Fulbright effect and alumni impact stories and elevate the brand with alumni, legislators, media and the public.
Overview: Communications intern provides hands-on support for advocacy, donor and membership campaigns; alumni eNewsletters and our social media, blog and website.
- Website: Update content & images to promote alumni stories, news, events, service and advocacy. Research, write & edit content. Edit images & videos (bonus). Upload into WordPress CMS.
- Blog: Interview alumni to write articles on the Fulbright effect, research & summarize advocacy news & actions and coordinate & edit articles from participants on Fulbright service programs.
- Social Media: Write, research & post content on social media to promote alumni stories, news, events, service, membership, fundraising appeals & advocacy. Research & share content from alumni, chapters, university members & partners in international education & foreign relations. Expand our social media connections, followers & engagement.
- eNewsletters: Interview Fulbrighters & chapter leaders to write alumni stories, promote events & programs, report relevant news. Research & coordinate with partners for advocacy updates & news in education, international exchange & foreign relations. Setup emails & lists in MailChimp.
- Campaigns: Collaborate with & support staff with campaign strategy, planning, execution & outreach for advocacy, fundraising & membership campaigns.
- Calls: All staff & interns participate in membership & donor renewal calls & some admin tasks.
15-20 hours per week, unpaid. Exact schedule to be set with supervisor. The Fulbright Association Office is located at 1900 L St, NW, Washington, DC. Hours are Monday-Friday from 9:00 am-5:00 pm.
We are currently seeking a Communications intern for Spring and Summer openings. Please contact us for more information.
- Excellent writer of articles & promotional content for website, social media & email.
- Some experience with website, blog and/or email technology (WordPress, MailChimp, etc.)
- Some experience using social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube) & knowledge of how to use it effectively to promote events, programs & membership
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Powerpoint & Excel
- Self-starter who takes initiative to figure out how to get things done
- Good at managing multiple tasks & driven to meet fast turnaround deadlines
- Adept at quickly learning new software & marketing tools
- Pursuing degree & coursework in Marketing, Communications, Journalism or Business
- Working knowledge of WordPress (web updates), Mailchimp (distribute emails), Buffer or HootSuite (social media tool)
- Experience working with school newspaper or organization’s website or blog (bonus)
- Some design skills in Photoshop, InDesign & Illustrator (bonus)
- Coursework in international affairs, international business, political science or education (bonus)
- Familiarity with the Fulbright Program, experience on study abroad or exchange (bonus)
- Passion for international travel & curiosity for other cultures
To apply send your resume, cover letter and 3 brief writing samples (e.g. sample social media posts, blog or professional email announcements) to: