Communications and Marketing Manager
POSITION: Manager, Communications and Marketing
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
Founded in 1976, the Fulbright Association (FA) is the alumni association of the Fulbright Scholarship Program in the United States. Fulbright Scholars travel to 165 countries to teach, research, and engage in ways that promote peace and understanding. Returning scholars and other alumni join the FA to magnify the impact of the Fulbright experience by advocating for the program to Congress and by offering international educational programs: community outreach, events sponsored by 50 chapters nationwide, a national conference, and “impact” travel. The FA also awards the prestigious Fulbright Prize to world leaders. Previous recipients include Nelson Mandela, Jimmy Carter, Bill and Melinda Gates, and Doctors without Borders.
This year, the FA is focused on expanding advocacy efforts, working with chapters to share the Fulbright experience with communities nationwide, coordinating communications strategies with partner institutions in and out of government, piloting a networking portal, developing an enriched digital presence in social media, and marketing programs such as the national conference and impact travel. Communications and marketing will play a vital role in the success of the Association, helping to raise the profile of the Fulbright community, to drive membership and engagement, and to ensure the effectiveness of advocacy and educational programs.
Reporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director, the Manager will deliver communications and marketing efforts in ways that are contemporary, dynamic and measurable in impact. We welcome applications from talented, creative, and ambitious communications and marketing professionals who believe in the mission of international exchange and understanding.
Role and Responsibilities
- Oversee and manage FA social media, including social media strategy, content research and writing, posting content and images, expanding connections, and engaging members and partners. Assist chapters and other institutional partners with a coordinated sharing of social media content.
- Manage the FA website, including web strategy, content development, CMS and image updates, and review of Google Analytics.
- Manage association member electronic newsletter and email campaigns, including email strategy, content writing and editing, design updates, list updates and review email metrics.
- Collaborate with other staff and volunteers on membership growth, fundraising, advocacy, events and programs on email campaigns, outreach and collateral.
- Collaborate with PR and brand consultant as time and funding allows.
- Create an editorial calendar for all communications and methods to track success.
- Manage marketing efforts for the annual conference, events, and travel programs.
- Create engaging external content in line with the FA mission and values.
- Develop press relationships with media outlets as necessary.
- Other duties as necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
Ideal Candidate Skills
- Excellent writer and storyteller with an understanding of effective content communications, with experience developing compelling and relevant content for professional audiences with past experience writing for websites, newsletters, blogs and social media.
- Strong project management skills with ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously, effectively prioritize and coordinate with multiple external suppliers to keep projects on schedule.
- Minimum of 2 years of communications experience. 5 years of professional experience preferred with evidence of implementing strategy and cross-institutional coordination.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Excellent technical skills with experience using web and social media tools, self-starter who enjoys teaching themselves and adept at quickly learning new software and technology tools.
- Strong internal and external communication skills, proficient in communicating with staff, board members, association members, marketing suppliers, media, and international partners.
- Proficient skills with WordPress to maintain and update association website, including understanding of how to use WordPress admin portal functionality, plug-ins and basic HTML
- Strong understanding of leveraging social media and online strategies to elevate visibility and increase engagement with professional audiences.
- Understanding of how to reach targeted audiences.
- Able to use of quickly adapt to using marketing tools, such as Salesforce (CRM), MailChimp (email), Buffer (social media), and others.
- Light design skills or quick learn to handle design updates, image adjustments and simple layout using software, such as Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Experience working for alumni organization, membership association, nonprofit or NGO.
- Experience in international development, working or living internationally, or working with international audiences.
- Experience in building and launching brand or PR campaigns.
- Experience with academic and higher education audiences.
- Degree in communications, marketing, journalism or mass media to know best practices and industry standards. Work experience can substitute.
- Professional qualifications or certificates in communications and marketing an advantage.
- Preference given to Fulbright alumni.
Ideal Candidate Attributes
- Positive, enthusiastic, passion for Fulbright mission and values aligned with social innovation
- Ability to self-manage, prioritize, get things done, and drive results
- Adaptive willing to roll up your sleeves and resourceful ability to work with limited resources
- Collaborative team player and enjoys working as part of team to accomplish the mission
- Innovative, creative, entrepreneurial mindset and passion for learning
TIMELINE AND APPLICATION PACKET
This is a full-time position with benefits, working onsite in the Washington, DC office with customary business hours. Annual salary range is $50-$55,000, depending on experience and skills. Deadline to submit all items is February 28, 2017. Ideal start date is April 3, 2017.
All interested candidates should submit the following items in their application packets via email:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample (2)
- List of References (2)
Attn: Alison Aadland